Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The End.

Well, it’s been about two months since I got back to the US and it sure has been an interesting summer readjusting. After finals were over, we started packing up and saying goodbye to everyone we knew there. The goodbye fiesta at la Coria was really bittersweet and most of the group left crying. All the families were there and we all got to hang out and spend one last night in Trujillo. Most of my group left Trujillo and went on to Madrid to spend a couple days there before heading back to Charleston.
          Madrid was pretty interesting but most of us were still emotionally and physically tired from leaving Trujillo, our families, and getting ready to head home for good. All of us were definitely sad to leave and while coming back to our “real life” was exciting, it just took time to overcome leaving what we had built as our life for four months. I had really connected and become close with my Spanish family and leaving them was really sad. After spending almost four months as a family, we all grew really close. They were extremely welcoming, helpful, and loving. They were definitely the most rewarding and impactful part of my time abroad I really don’t think I could have asked for a better family.

La Plaza Mayor durante Chiviri
          Readjusting to America wasn’t as bad as I thought it could have been. The first week seemed to go by so slowly and I accidentally tried speaking Spanish to my family here at home while they just had blank stares on their faces waiting for me to explain what I had just said. My Spanish family and I have definitely kept in contact throughout the summer through Facebook. It’s so strange being back because my time in Spain seems like so long ago – almost like a dream. It was such an incredible experience; it almost doesn’t seem real now that I’m back in America. Now, because of my time there, I am looking for somewhere to work with Spanish speakers in a volunteering position. Hopefully I can find a program to help with teaching English as a second language. I definitely hope that every student will consider studying abroad because, while it can be hard, it is worth it for sure. I would tell them to think about staying with a family there because living with a local makes a huge difference and fully immerses you in the culture and language. I really hope to go back one day and get to see more of Spain and of course visit the little town, Trujillo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment